Friday, August 22, 2008

Spouting Horn, the amazing Puka Dog and the beautiful beach

So today was Puka Dog day! I have heard about these hot dogs from Camey for years. On the way out there Aunt Jeanette and Michael took us out to see spouting horn. This unique site occurs when water rushes under a lava shelf and bursts through a small opening at the surface. Sprays can get to fifty feet in the air, which are so amazing to see.
Over to one side of it is a spot where tons a sea turtles were swimming. You can see them throughout the water, on the surface, and coming to the top to get some air. They poke out their little heads and look around at all the people up on land. Then they dive back down from where they came.
I think there was at least eight coming out of the water while we were there. Bayleigh had fallen asleep in the car so it was just Aunt Jeanette and me out there, while Michael sat with Bayleigh in the car. We walked through the little stands were locals sell souvenirs and I got Ben a puka shell necklace.
Here we are at the Puka Dog shop getting ready to take our first bite of the world famous dog. Aunt Jeanette and Michael shared one but I chose to have one all my own(Bayleigh of course had her fair share of it). They had all these choices of different things to put on it. I tried coconut relish with the mild garlic lemon spread. It didn't sound good to me at first and I thought Camey must be crazy but both Bayleigh and I loved it.

If you wear something like a hat or shirt with the puka dog logo on it they give you a free lemonade icecee with your order. Aunt Jeanette of course has a tank top and so we got the icecee. That goes perfectly with the puka dog so I'm glad she brought it.
It was the cutest little shop. It had two small tables in it so not a lot of seatting area, a group left right when we needed a table so I got to experience the puka dog to the fullest. The place never slowed down while we were there. It is a happinin' place here on the island with the locals and the tourists.

After lunch it was back to the favorite beach, they call it the Sheraton beach . We didn't do the water this time, instead we sat, talked and watched all the other beach goers. It was a beautiful day today, very sunny but not to hot.

I can't believe that we're already halfway through our trip, time never goes this fast when I'm at home with my wonderful kids.

1 comment:

J'net said...

I got some cute Puka DOG shoots too, will blog it soon! Bayleigh loved to eat!!! How fun she was!!
Aloha.